Friday, October 31, 2008

OBX 2008

Maya's first trip to the Outer Banks was nearly perfect. Mike and I have been going to the Outer Banks about twice a year for several years now. Last year we didn't go at all. We've really been missing it. We love going because it's just such a beautiful and peaceful place and because we love taking Fisher. He has a blast. We have been staying in Avon the past few times that we've gone and so decided that we'd do the same this time. So far it hasn't disappointed!
We stop and spend the night at Aunt Judy and Uncle Chauncey's house in Chesapeake on the way down and it really makes the trip so much better. We can get up an leave at a leisurely pace and still get there with plenty of day to spare. Judy gave Maya a princess pumpkin carving kit so we had to stop at a produce market and get a pumpkin to carve.

I loved seeing this tiny strip of land surrounded by water on the Garmin.

We stopped at Bodie Island Lighthouse and had a little picnic lunch. We weren't the only ones eating...

Notice the big ol' red welt on Maya's cheek? It's a mosquito bite. The first of many this week!

How cute are those ears flappin' in the wind?

Maya doesn't like her syrup on her waffles. She prefers to dip. Nice dipping bowl, huh?

We had beautiful weather until Thursday evening. We spent a couple of days on the beach but not in the ocean. Fisher doesn't care much for the waves. But he could spend all day in the sound. Maya could dig and dig...she could dig a hole to China, LOL!

We took her tricycle instead of her wagon. Big mistake. It squeaked this horrible squealing noise. So we parked it and bought yet another stroller. That makes 4 now.

Momma and Maya carving the pumpkin.

Of all the stencils, Maya chose the witch from Snow White. By far the most detailed of them all. I had never used one of these kits. They are awesome!! I love the scooper and the saw. I thought she turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

We had a great day for flying a kite or an umbrella. Shortly after the pic of Fisher setting under the umbrella, it blew out of the sand and rolled and rolled until it was totally out of site. I tried running after it. I ditched my flip flops (but not my mimosa) and ran as fast as I could but could not even come close.


Our house was way too big for just the 3 of us and we tried to swindle some friends into coming down with us but as usual, no go. It was a beautiful house and the pool was great. It was plenty warm even in October.

There was a playground...

and painting...

and naked foosball for players under 3.

Our boy. Doing one of his favorite things. I thought I was going to have to go in after him for a minute. He couldn't find the stick I threw and would not come back to the shore. I finally had to throw another.

My two loves on the ferry to Ocracoke.

The mosquitoes were bad in Avon but they were ferocious on Ocracoke. Driving around with the windows down, Maya got about 4 bites on her including one under her other eye in the exact same spot as the one in the pic at the lighthouse. Here are Mike and Fisher running for their lives back to the truck.

We are having computer issues. Sorry for keeping everyone hanging.

3 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE the pictures.
Looks like a wonderful time..
Have a Great month..
Always love catching up to see what little Maya is doing now..
Love the witch..
Have a Great Halloween..

granola girl said...

I am so jealous. I would have jumped in the car and zipped down to share that big house with ya. ;)

Looks like you guys had a great time!

I LOVE that pumpkin. I had no idea there were kits to do that. We're so old school over here. LOL

Naked fooseball sounds fun for everyone LOL!!!

Seems you are enjoying Fall before the snow flys!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say Hi. You guys look like you are having so much fun. I just can't belive how much she has grown! Miss Ya!

Lots of love,
Mandy Souder